The apple pie filling takes less than 15 minutes to make and has a great homemade taste.
The tender pieces (or slices) of apples are perfectly sweet and sour simmered in a simple cinnamon sauce. They take only a few minutes to prepare and taste much better than canned ones!
They can be used in cakes or pies or replace a can of apple pie filling in any recipe. Take it over ice cream, yogurt or cake for easy treatment.
is better (and SO easy!)
I love apple pie filling, but not just for filling the cake crust! It’s great about anything from yogurt to cake to oatmeal.
- Homemade always tastes 1000 times better! Delicious apple flavor with a touch of hot spices.
- Apples come out tender and not soaked.
- Making this apple pie filling is less expensive than canning (and has a homemade flavor).
- It needs only a handful of ingredients.
- Ready in about 10-15 minutes, it is very easy to make.
The Best Apples to Fill Cake
Just like baking apple pie, you’ll want apples that hold up well so you don’t end up with applesauce! We think granny smith apples are best for cake filling because they have a sour taste, meaning the filling isn’t too sweet.
Try any of the following: braeburn, golden delicious, honeycrisp.
Other ingredients needed in this recipe are sugar, water, spices and cornstarch (this makes the sauce portion).
<img src="https://www.spendwithpennies.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Stove-Top-Apple-Pie-Filling-SpendWithPennies-1.jpg" alt="ingredients in the pan to make apple pie filling on the
How to Make Homemade Apple Pie Filling
You’ve heard the saying as easy as apple pie, this recipe is exactly that!
- Peel and chop Apples: Apples are peeled and cut into slices and simply added to a pan with a little water, sugar and cinnamon.
- Thicken: Once tender, I add a little cornstarch to thicken this apple pie filling. Any of the juices released from the apples make the “salty” part.
- Chop the apples or make apple slices instead
- brown sugar to add a caramel flavor
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- I use ground cinnamon, but you can use apple pie spices, a pinch of nutmeg, pumpkin pie spices, or your favorite hot spice mix.
. Change white sugar to
How to freeze
apple pie filling
This apple pie filling is delicious and can be used right away. We do this mainly to replace the cake filling cans in recipes, if I’m making a real apple pie from scratch, I don’t precook the filling. If you make this filling, of course, you can freeze it.
Simply cook as directed and cool. Freeze in a freezer bag. Once ready to use, thaw overnight in the fridge and use it as you would fresh.
pie filling ideas
We love this alone or served over ice cream, but this easy apple pie filling works perfectly in the recipes below!
- Cake egg rolls Apple: If you like old McDonald’s apple pies (fried ones!) !
- Serve over ice cream, yogurt or oatmeal.
- Place in a bowl and top with crumble to make a quick crispy apple.
- Wrap it in cake (or homemade cake crust) to make apple pies.
- Use it to cover pancakes or waffles.
- Roll Ups: Easy baked apple pie rolls rolled in cinnamon sugar and served hot
- Apple Pie Dumplings: 2-ingredient apple pie dumplings! This is the easiest dessert to prepare!
Apple pie tacos: Crispy sugar and cinnamon peels filled with hot apple pie filling! Apple Pie