Seafood Chowder is plentiful, plentiful, delicious and super easy to make. You will surprise everyone with this simple recipe!
Seafood soup is a favorite dish in our house. It is rich and filling, super filling and a total comfort food. It’s easy to prepare on the slow cooker, instant cooker or stove!
Make this seafood soup recipe with one side of our French bread recipe or some quick rolls.
<img src="https://www.mamalovesfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/SEAFOOD-CHOWDER.jpg" alt="SEAFOOD SOUP" /
> Seafood Soup Ingredients of Seafood
Bacon – I like to bake bacon ahead of time and then store it in the freezer for later use in recipes. Potatoes – Russet potatoes are the ones we usually use, but I also love this seafood soup with red potatoes. They are so creamy! Corn – Canned corn or frozen corn is my choice for this
- Onion – Another trick I love is to buy pre-chopped onions in the freezer section of our market for times when I’m in a hurry and need to put dinner on the table quickly.
- Celery – I don’t have any tricks for celery, but in random news, the farm that supplies a lot of celery to American markets is in my city!
- Garlic – I like to buy minced garlic from the produce section and store it in the fridge. We use fresh usually, but it’s a great shortcut when you need it.
- Seasoned salt: Regular salt will work in a pinch, but seasoned salt adds more flavor.
- – I like to make my own chicken broth and turkey broth, but you can also buy it in cardboard boxes in the soup aisle, or use a broth paste or bouillon cubes.
- – If you’re not a fan of heavy cream, you can substitute it with half and half or whole milk. However, I really suggest using heavy cream, it makes the taste much richer.
We like to include shrimp, scallops, mussels and even pieces of fish. You can include several types of seafood or just one or two types, depending on what you enjoy.
I usually buy bags of mixed frozen seafood from my market for this recipe. Just be sure to thaw them before adding them to the recipe. Seafood thaws quickly in a water bath.
Pro tip: If you don’t like seafood, try making this with ham! I love using leftovers from our clay pot ham recipe.
<img src="https://www.mamalovesfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/SEAFOOD-CHOWDER-RECIPE.jpg" alt="SEAFOOD SOUP RECIPE" /
How do you make
a seafood soup
? First, combine all ingredients EXCEPT cream and seafood in your choice of cooking container. Then, cook until the potatoes are tender. Then, mix about half of the soup (I like to ⭐
use an immersion blender). ⭐
⭐ Finally, add heavy cream and seafood, then continue cooking until heated and the meat has reached a safe temperature.
What kind of seafood at Seafood Chowder
? The type of seafood in seafood soup really depends on the chef. I like to grab a bag of mixed frozen seafood from our market which usually contains shrimp, mussels, squid and scallops.
Other times, however, I only get a bag of shrimp and a bag of small scallops. I think small scallops are my absolute favorites in this fish soup recipe. If you don’t like them or have a shellfish allergy, you can also use fish like tilapia, whitefish, or even salmon.
<img src="https://www.mamalovesfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/SEAFOOD-CHOWDER-SLOW-COOKER.jpg" alt="SEAFOOD SOUP SOUP" /
To make seafood soup
in the slow cooker
, you’ll want to combine all the ingredients EXCEPT cream and seafood in the slow cooker. Simmer for 8 to 10 hours or high for 4 to 6 hours.
Mix about half of the soup with an immersion blender (or simply place it in your upright blender and then return to the slow cooker).
Add heavy cream and seafood, then continue cooking, uncovered, for another 10 to 15 minutes, until heated and the meat has reached a safe temperature (145°F for seafood).
Instant Pot seafood soup is made by combining all ingredients EXCEPT cream and seafood in the inner pot of the Instant Pot
Cook manually for 5 minutes, releasing natural pressure for about 10 minutes. Then, mix about half of the soup with an immersion blender (or simply place it in your upright blender and then return to Instant Pot).
Add heavy cream and seafood, then continue cooking in stir fry, uncovered mode for about another 10 minutes (stirring frequently), until heated and the meat has reached a safe temperature (145°F for seafood). Do not boil.
Seafood Chowder can be made on the stove by combining all ingredients EXCEPT cream and seafood in a large pot
Cover and bring to a simmer. Then cook about 15 more minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Mix about half of the soup with an immersion blender (or simply place it in your upright blender and then return to the broth pot).
Add heavy cream and seafood, then continue to simmer, uncovered, for another 10 to 15 minutes, until heated and the meat has reached a safe temperature (145°F for seafood).
❤ Do you love recipes that can be made in the instant pot or slow cooker? Try our Italian beef recipe! ❤
How does seafood soup
? To thicken the seafood soup, you can mix some of the potatoes, add a tablespoon or two of dried potato flakes, or add a suspension of cornstarch
To make a suspension of cornstarch, add 3 tablespoons of cornstarch to 3 tablespoons of cold water and mix well. Stir in the soup and simmer for a few minutes. When cornstarch reaches 95F it will thicken. You can add more as needed.
How long the seafood soup
is cooked How
long to cook the seafood soup will depend on the method you use. On the stove, the total time will be 30-40 minutes. In the pressure cooker the seafood soup will take about 20 minutes (not counting the time it takes to pressurize). And slow-cooked seafood soup will take between 4 and 10 hours, depending on whether you cook over low or high heat.
<img src="https://www.mamalovesfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/CHOWDER-WITH-SEAFOOD.jpg" alt="SOUP WITH SEAFOOD" /
- Asparagus soup Split pea soup
Complete your meal with our recipe suggestions
- French bread recipe
- Dinner rolls
- Beer bread tools
- the Santuko knife – My favorite vegetable cutting knife! This knife has the perfect size and shape, handles very well and is super reasonably priced. Plus, I love that it’s fun and colorful!
- Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker – Hello Working Parent! It’s me! Also a working parent! Can we talk about how difficult it is to have a healthy dinner at the table during the week? So. Difficult. Well, Imma I tell you: this electric pressure cooker and my gas grill are the saving graces in our home. A delicious roast with carrots and potatoes in 45 minutes? Yes, please! You’re seriously going to love this one!
- 6.5 quart Dutch oven: This enameled cast iron Dutch furnace can go from stove to oven and look beautiful when doing so. Perfect for chilies, roasts, breads and stews. Mine is yellow, what color will you choose?
<img src="https://www.mamalovesfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/CORN-CHOWDER-WITH-SEAFOOD.jpg" alt="SEAFOOD CORN SOUP" /