This delicious Spicy Crispy Tuna Rice appetizer is made with crispy rectangles of seasoned sushi rice, fresh avocado slices, and a dollop of deliciously creamy, umami-flavored Spicy Yellowfin Tuna with a slice of jalapeno for a kick! extra touch! now you can make this gourmet bite-sized snack of tuna with crispy rice from the comfort of your own home.
Spicy tuna crispy rice is having its moment right now. I have been seeing it almost everywhere. It has gone viral over Instagram and TikTok and it is on the menu at almost all the trendy sushi restaurants like Nobu. When I had spicy tuna crispy rice for the first time, it was love at first bite. The spicy ahi tuna melded perfectly with the fresh avocado and the crunchy crispy flavored sushi rice. My only complaint about this delicious crispy rice sushi was that I only got a few pieces for top $$$ AND I had to share a piece with my boyfriend. I was distraught.
Reading: Crispy rice tuna
now you can make as much of this appetizer as you can eat with this nobu mimicked spicy tuna crispy rice recipe. if you loved this crispy rice sushi appetizer, check out my taiwanese fried chicken or crispy brisket dumplings!
Table of Contents
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- 🍽 Kitchen Equipment
- 🛒 Ingredients and Substitutions
- 📝 How to Make Spicy Tuna Crispy Rice
- ⭐️ Tips for the Best Spicy Tuna Crispy Rice
- 🥡 Storage Instructions
- 💬 Frequently Asked Q’s & A’s
- 👩🏻🍳 Recipe
- 💬 Comments
❤️ why you’ll love this recipe
- Spicy tuna has spicy, umami and savory flavors that pair perfectly with seasoned sushi rice. plus, the contrast between the soft, fresh tuna and the crispy, seasoned avocado and sushi rice is amazing.
- you can make as many pieces as you like without spending a lot of money in a fancy restaurant.
- This is an incredibly simple recipe and I’ve included all the tips and tricks below for a foolproof appetizer.
🍽 Kitchen Equipment
- rice cooker: I am the rice cooker team until the end. it’s just more convenient than cooking rice on a stove. I’ve been using this tiger rice cooker since college and it’s been my favorite essential in the kitchen.
- rice spoon: use a rice spoon or a large spoon of rice. wood to mix the seasoning into the rice so it doesn’t break up the rice grains.
- baking pan: you will need a small baking pan about 8 or 9 inches wide to create a mold for rice. I used a quarter sheet pan, but you can also use an 8×8 square baking pan.
- Deep Skillet: To fry the crispy rice, you’ll need a deep skillet that you will protect from hot oil splashes.
🛒 ingredients and substitutions
This crispy rice sushi recipe only has a few simple ingredients that you can find at your local Japanese or Asian supermarket.
- Sushi Rice: also known as short grain sushi rice which is bulky, firm and slightly sticky. sushi rice has a stickier texture than white jasmine rice, making it ideal for shaping and frying. I love using nishiki premium grain rice for all my sushi recipes.
- Salt: is used to season the rice.
- vinegar rice:
- salt: strong> is a sweeter and slightly salty type of vinegar. adds a mild flavor to rice. you can buy rice vinegar online or at your local grocery store.
- granulated sugar: balances the bitterness of the rice vinegar
- sesame oil : adds another layer of nutty flavor to the rice.
- Ahi tuna: As a safety precaution, use high-quality ahi tuna for sushi or sashimi. you should read the label on the package to see if it says it’s sushi grade. alternatively, you can also use any other sushi-grade fish.
- Japanese Kewpie Mayonnaise: is a sweeter, umami-flavored mayonnaise that is only made from egg yolks for a creamiest cream. richer texture and mouthfeel. You can buy kewpie mayonnaise online or at your local Asian grocery store. or alternatively you can use regular American mayonnaise if you don’t have kewpie mayonnaise.
- sriracha: is the spicy element in spicy tuna. you can adjust the sriracha to your spice preference. you can also use sambal oelek as an alternative.
- soy sauce: soy sauce and fresh tuna go great together and add a touch of salt to break up the heavier creamy flavors . . if possible, use sushi or sashimi soy sauce for a milder tasting soy sauce. you can find it online or at your local Japanese supermarket.
- sesame oil: sesame oil adds a touch of nuttiness.
- Lime Juice: A touch of lime juice adds a bit of tartness to the spicy tuna that enhances the flavor.
- avocado: adds a creamy element to crispy rice.
- roasted sesame seeds: you can use roasted black or white sesame
- chopped chives: or chopped chives
- jalapeño slices: or serrano pepper slices
📝 how to make crispy spicy tuna rice
You can make this easy Spicy Tuna Crispy Rice recipe from the comfort of your own home and eat as much as you want without the guilt of paying $$$ for it.
- prepare the rice. stir the rice well 4-5 times until the water turns clear. add water and salt. mix and cook the rice in a rice cooker.
- add flavoring. In a small bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, sugar, and sesame oil until the sugar has dissolved. once the rice is cooked, combine the mixture with the cooked rice in a large bowl and stir until combined.
- shape and refrigerate the rice. place your flavored rice on a small square baking sheet lined with plastic wrap and shape your rice into a ½ square block inch thick. wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight. it can also be frozen in the freezer for about 30 minutes. you want to chill the rice so it’s easy to cube.
- Shape the rice. Once the rice has chilled, cut the rice into bitesized rectangles.
- Pan fry the rice. In a medium skillet, heat about ½-3/4 cup of vegetable oil on high heat until hot for about 30 seconds. Gently, place the rice into the pan leaving about 2 inches in between each piece. Be careful the oil may splatter. Cook on medium high heat for about 3 minutes or until golden brown and then flip and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from the pan and place on a wire rack placed over a lined baking sheet to drain any excess oil.
- mix ingredients together. In a medium bowl, add minced tuna, kewpie mayonnaise, sriracha, soy sauce, sesame oil, and lime juice. mix until well combined.
- assemble. add thinly sliced avocado pieces on top of crispy rice. then place 1-2 tablespoons of spicy tuna on top. garnish with toasted sesame seeds, chopped chives or chives, and a slice of jalapeño or serrano pepper.
⭐️ Tips for the Best Spicy Tuna Crispy Rice
- Wash your rice! Washing your rice is always a vital step before cooking the rice. Washing the rice removes excess starch, dirt, dust, and debris from the rice grain. if you don’t wash the rice, the excess starch will gelatinize and make the grains stickier and softer.
- pack the rice. when shaping the rice in your baking pan bake, be sure to gently pack the rice as close together as possible without crushing the rice grains. you don’t want large air bubbles that will cause the rice to fall apart when you fry it.
- chill the rice. you will need to chill the block of rice in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour or in the freezer for 30-45 minutes. the longer you chill the rice, the easier it will be to cube it. you can chill the rice overnight.
- make sure the oil is hot before adding the rice. test the oil preparation by dropping a grain of rice and if it sizzles quickly , the oil is ready.
- Cool the rice on a rack for maximum crispiness. Once the rice is done, place the rice pieces on a rack to prevent them from getting soaked.
🥡 storage instructions
the best thing is to eat the fresh tuna crispy rice. however, you can store leftover Spicy Tuna Crisp Rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
💬 frequently asked questions & a
💕 you may also love it…
did you make this spicy tuna crispy rice?
If you made this dish and loved it, please leave a review and comment below. We would greatly appreciate it! share your dish with us on instagram and tag us @takestwoeggs. We’d love to see and share your delicious creation!Hungry for more? Follow us on instagram, youtube, tiktok >, pinterest and facebook for more tasty creations and updates 🍜