Homemade lasagna is a classic recipe that every cook should have in his rotation.
The tender slices of pasta, a creamy ricotta cheese filling, and a rich fleshy tomato sauce are covered with more cheese and baked until golden brown and bubbling.
While there are a few steps to this lasagna recipe, it’s easy to make and has plenty of flavor. This dish can be made in advance and frozen well before or after baking!
can have a few steps, but each step is easy, and I assure you it’s worth it; the perfect Italian meal
! The best lasagna recipe is
made with ingredients you know, and it’s not difficult at all! All you’ll need for this easy lasagna recipe is a pan, bowl, and 9×13 baking dish!
- Cheese filling: For this classic lasagna recipe, the filling contains ricotta and parmesan with seasonings and a couple of tablespoons of parsley. No ricotta? No problem, cottage cheese works well in this recipe!
- Meat: I use both Italian sausages and ground beef for great flavor. If you use all beef, add 1/4 teaspoon of fennel seeds and some Italian seasoning to the meat mixture for flavor.
- Sauce: To keep this sauce fast, I use pasta sauce or marinara sauce (it’s easy to make from scratch with crushed tomatoes and canned tomatoes if you prefer).
Spinach (variation): To make a spinach lasagna, squeeze most of the moisture out of the thawed frozen spinach and add it along with the cheese layer.
The ingredients in lasagna don’t have to be limited to the ones you see here. Substitute different meats or cheeses, or try different variations of meat sauce.
<img src="https://www.spendwithpennies.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Easy-Homemade-Lasagna-SpendWithPennies-2.jpg" alt="a
- layers Spread about a cup of meat sauce in a 9×13 skillet. Add a noodle layer.
- Top the noodles with some of the ricotta cheese mixture. Repeat the layers, finishing with a layer of noodles and sauce
- Top with aluminum foil and bake. Remove the foil, cover with mozzarella and parmesan, and bake for another 15 minutes.
Once you have prepared the meat sauce and cheese mixture, it will be ready to place. This is the order of the layers:
sauce – noodles – cheese sauce – noodles – cheese sauce – noodles
- – cheese noodles
- sauce (baking)
How long to bake
Bake this lasagna recipe for a total of one hour. To get a perfect golden cheese coverage, you’ll need to bake it in two stages.
Cover and cover
- tightly with aluminum foil to retain moisture
- Once cooked and heated, remove the foil, cover with cheese and return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the lasagna bubbly.
Serve with a
large slice of homemade garlic bread and garnish with fresh basil or a couple of tablespoons of parsley.
Finish the meal with a Caesar salad or an Italian salad.
Lasagna can be prepared in advance and refrigerated up to 2 days before baking. It can also be frozen before or after baking.
Lasagna is one of the best foods to prepare in advance and freeze. Double or triple the recipe and store it tightly wrapped in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Defrost the refrigerator overnight and bake as directed. If the lasagna is cold from the fridge, you may need an additional 20 minutes of cooking time.
How to Reheat Lasagna
If you have frozen leftovers, put them in the oven at 350°F covered until they are reheated. This should take about 30 minutes! Of course, leftovers are also heated perfectly in the microwave
Did you like this homemade lasagna? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
src=”https://www.spendwithpennies.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/SP-Easy-Homemade-Lasagna-SpendWithPennies-2.jpg” alt=”easy homemade lasagna baked in the casserole with a title” />