A slow cooker is the key to cooking delicious ham. By using simple ingredients, you are guaranteed moist meat whenever it will be perfect for sandwiches or dinners.
This post was sponsored by Hamilton Beach.
- 🥘 Ingredients
- recipe My mother-in-law made the best ham in her slow cooker 📖
How to cook ham in a slow cooker
, and I hope one day she can replicate it.
Somehow he managed to make it so tender that it could practically be crushed with a fork. She knew exactly how long to cook her ham.
I’ve tried to do it like her in the past, only to overcook it over and over again. However, I am determined to perfect it as I received a programmable slow cooker Set ‘n Forget® 6 Qt. with spoon/lid. Set ‘n Forget® isn’t your grandmother’s slow cooker, it’s a stylish and modern technological marvel. I’ll tell you more about it in a moment, but first, let me share with you an easy way to cook a ham in the slow cooker.
The ham can be dried in the slow cooker. My mother-in-law poured a can of Mountain Dew over her ham to keep it moist. To avoid additional additives (high fructose corn syrup, etc.), I use 1 1/4 cups of water and 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar instead of soda.
I cover the slow cooker, insert the temperature
probe, and then program the slow cooker over LOW heat to reach a temperature of at least 145 degrees
Once the meat reaches that temperature, the Set ‘n Forget® automatically switches to the WARM setting.
While I haven’t gotten to the point of crumbling the ham, I haven’t cooked it too much either. Since ham should be cooked until it reaches at least 145 and no more than 160 degrees, I know that I can increase the temperature setting without overcooking it. I’m going to experiment a little more to find that perfect temperature: one day I’ll be able to cook ham like my mother-in-law.
With the temperature programmed at 145 – 150, the ham comes out slicable and delicious. It’s great paired with green beans and macaroni and cheese.
- picnic ham (about 6-8 pounds)
- cups water 1/4
apple cider vinegar 🔪How to cook ham in a slow cooker
- Remove the packaging and net from the ham. Place in a slow cooker.
- Pour water and apple cider vinegar over the ham. Cover and simmer for 8 hours, or until the thermometer strikes at least 145 degrees.
See the features of the
Set ‘n Forget®
- Three (3) options for easy and automatic cooking: program, probe and manual
- perfect for cooking large cuts of meat or for recipes that require food to reach a certain
- The thermometer probe reads the actual temperature of food as it cooks; temperature is displayed on panel
- slow cooker control Travel-friendly design ensures content on the go to parties, meals, family gatherings and tailgating
- The lid seals tightly in place with sturdy wire clips on each handle
- removable clay quarters Fits a 6-pound chicken or 4-pound roast
- Wrap, Even hot cooks food evenly and consistently
- Full grip handles make it easy to transport heavy meals
- keeps slow cooker on during a brief power outage
- Questions are supported by a free call center located in the EE.
- U.S. Backed with a One-Year Warranty
Probe mode is
Power interruption protection
The Set ‘n Forget® is an impressive slow cooker. You can read more about this on the Hamilton Beach website by clicking here. There is information about the program, the probe and manual modes, a cooking guide for the probe, information about adapting recipes for the slow cooker and information about its care and cleaning.
With Set ‘n Forget®, I can spend less time in the kitchen and more time with my family. In addition to ham, we enjoyed cooking roast and Seven Can Soup in our slow cooker.
Do you need some tasty side dishes to accompany your ham? Carrots, macaroni and cheese and broccoli are some of my favorite accompaniments to serve with ham.
Here are some other delicious slow cooker recipes:
- Easy Seven Can Soup
- Slow Cooker Roasted Roast