Use the ham leftovers to make this delicious slow-cooking ham and cabbage soup; this tasty soup is low carb and gluten-free! And you can do it on the stove or in the Instant Pot if you prefer.
PIN Slow cook ham and cabbage soup
to try later!
A lot of people end up with ham leftovers during the holidays, so I thought I’d highlight this delicious slow-cooked ham and cabbage soup . This tasty soup is perfect to make with leftover Christmas ham!
And I promise that ham and cabbage soup will taste great in a few days when you are completely tired of rich foods. And if you really want to start the low-carb diet early, set aside carrots or just use some carrots to make this a low-carb soup.
You can also make this tasty soup on the stove if you’re not a fan of slow cooker, and now there’s also a tasty Instant Pot version of this soup!
first made this tasty ham and cabbage soup when I spent a few weeks tasting and eating Christmas cookies, and my body was telling me I needed some veggies! The recipes produce soup with cabbage that melts in the tender mouth of slow cooking, and there are many herbs and spices to make this a very tasty soup. I hope you try it, even if you end up having to buy some ham!
What ingredients do you need?
(This is JUST a list of ingredients for the recipe; scroll down to see the full printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the full recipe.)
- red pepper
- diced lean ham
- other all-purpose seasoning
- Granulated garlic
- Coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- or canned chicken broth (link to
- Goya ham flavor concentrate (affiliate link) or other ham flavor base, optional, but recommended Want ham
Spike Seasoning or other all-purpose seasoning mix Beau Monde Seasoning (affiliate link) or
Dried parsley (affiliate link) Bay leaves (affiliate link)
and cabbage soup in the instant pot?
Check out the instant version of this
low-carb ham and cabbage soup. Want more cabbage soup ideas?
You can check out low-carb and keto soups with cabbage to find more tasty soup ideas!
How to make slow-cooked ham and cabbage soup:
(This is JUST a summary of the steps for the recipe; scroll down to see the full printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the full recipe.)
- Start by cutting off a whole head of cabbage. It had about 1 3/4 pounds of cabbage after trimming it and removing the core.
- Chop an onion and a red pepper into pieces of the same size. I made them quite small.
- had some lovely thin carrots, so I cut them into round pieces. If you have thicker carrots, I would cut them a little more. (Set aside carrots for the lower-carb version of the soup.)
- Cut some ham enough to make about 2 cups of diced ham (1 1/4 lb.) I would use lean ham for this soup. (I save the ham crusts and use them to make ham broth.)
- Put cabbage, onion, red pepper, carrots, diced ham, spices and dried herbs in the cooking pot.
- chicken broth and 2 cups of water, and Goya Ham Flavor Concentrate (affiliate link) and cook over high heat for 4-6 hours or over low heat for 8-10 hours
- if desired.
- This soup was really delicious, especially with some Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top when you eat it!
Add 6 cups of
. Serve hot, with Parmesan cheese
More delicious soups
- Crockpot Anasazi Bean and Cabbage Soup
- soup Lentil, sausage and cabbage
- Slow pot ground
Ground ground beef and
beef soup with preparation
Cabbage Weekend Food
This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prepare or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
Low Carb Diet/
Low Glycemic Diet/South Beach Diet Tips: With all the healthy cabbage and lean ham use, this slow-cooked ham and cabbage soup is a great choice for the original South Beach diet, though it would be phase two with carrots. However, I think this would still be great without carrots if you wanted to make it for phase one, maybe adding some chopped celery or even more onion, and leaving out carrots (or using just a few carrots) would also make this an even lower carb soup.
Find more recipes like this
: Use slow cooker recipes to find more recipes like this. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes that are right for a specific eating plan. You may also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.