Instant Pot Pinto Beans
Instant pinto beans are a perfect dish for every meal. Eat it as it is or combine it with rice, flatbread, or vegetables. It’s versatile, tasteful and super easy to make.
Being vegan, we all love beans. It is an integral part of your diet and is versatile. You can add beans to just about anything. You can make chili out of it, bake it in a casserole, add cooked beans to your salad, and even use it as a salsa and salsa.
Thanks to the different types of beans, the options are limitless. So, one of those beans that we’re going to talk about today is pinto beans. These are among the most commonly used beans, and this instant pinto bean recipe is super easy to make; It is simple, delicious, satisfying and vegan.
What are pinto beans? Beans are
essential part of a vegan diet. These are super healthy and satisfying. There are several different types of beans available in the market. You can get white beans, black beans, red beans, red beans, and pinto beans. Although these are all super tasty, I really like pinto beans. These are often linked to Mexican food due to their extensive use in cooking.
the most common type of beans that are available at any grocery store. You can find them in the dry version, as well as in the canned version. However, for this recipe, my focus is on dried pinto beans. Because they are a very common type of beans, they are also quite cheap.
Pinto beans have been in use since 3000 BC These beans were widely cultivated in Brazilian cuisine. However, they have always been a staple for Mexican land as well.
Pinto beans are smaller in size compared to red beans. These also have a light pink hue. Also, when cooked, they have an earthy taste. In addition, they have a rich and creamy texture.
all types of beans contain high nutritional value, pinto beans specifically are known as a superfood. Here are some health benefits of pinto beans
- Pinto beans are rich in fiber. As a result, they help keep good bacteria happy in the digestive system. As a result, it strengthens the digestive system, promotes regular bowel movements and overall gut health.
- It also helps regulate blood sugar levels in the blood.
- These are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the cell against free radicals in the body. As a result, it protects cells and also reduces the growth of cancer cells.
- These beans help reduce bad cholesterol levels in the blood. As a result, they protect the heart from various diseases and strokes.
- Because these are rich in protein and fiber, these beans help you feel full longer. As a result, they also help with weight loss.
- These are super rich in minerals like magnesium, iron, phosphorus, calcium, and potassium. In addition, they are low in sodium.
- In addition, pinto beans are also a good source of vitamin B1.
Do you need to soak pinto beans
When you’re cooking pinto beans in an instant pot, you don’t really need to soak them. Because the instant cooker uses a pressure cooking technique, cooks the beans much faster and excellently well. However, soaking beans also has its benefits.
When you soak pinto beans for about 6 to 8 hours before cooking, the cooking time will be cut in half. However, soaked beans tend to split more than non-soaked beans.
Also, when you soak
pinto beans before cooking, they are easier to digest compared to non-soaked beans. This is because when you soak the beans, the water removes the gas-causing sugars from the beans. As a result, beans are not only cooked faster, but also easy for the stomach to digest.
Therefore, if you have time, you can soak the beans for at least 6 hours before cooking. And if you are in a hurry, you can simply rinse them and cook them in an instant pot. Either way, you’ll get delicious beans.
Making pressure cooker beans is super easy. You don’t need to invest in unique ingredients. All ingredients are readily available in your pantry. Therefore, it is one of the easiest dishes you can make.
Pinto Beans: For this instant pinto bean recipe, I’ve used dried pinto beans. You can easily find it at any grocery store. The thing about dried pinto beans is that it is very economical. Literally, $4 pinto beans can feed about eight people. How amazing that is!
Vegetables: For this recipe, I have used vegetables such as onion, garlic and pepper. As each, you can also add carrots.
Condiments: You can add any seasoning you want, but I love adding paprika, cayenne, Italian seasoning, and salt to beans.
Liquid smoke: A unique ingredient that I love to use in this recipe is liquid smoke. It’s a fantastic flavoring ingredient that adds a smoky flavor to beans.
broth: Vegetable broth is a powder that is made from plant extracts. It enhances the flavor of beans and adds an umami flavor to it as well.
How to make instant pinto beans
? Making pinto beans
in an instant pot is the easiest thing you’ll ever do! With simple ingredients, you should follow the steps mentioned below to enjoy delicious pinto beans
1: Rinse the beans to get rid of debris
and dirt. Step
2: Set the instant pot to sauté mode and heat il. Add the chopped onion and cook for a minute until they become translucent.
Step 3: Next, add the cold garlic and cook for a few seconds. Add the peppers and cook.
Step 4: Add paprika, Italian seasoning, vegetable broth, pinto beans, liquid smoke, cayenne pepper, water. Mix well.
Step 5: Turn off the instant pot and add liquid to it.
Step 6: Seal the lid tightly and cook under high pressure for 50 minutes.
Step 7: Once the timer is over, release the pressure and serve the hot pinto beans.
making pinto beans in an instant pot is very easy, here are some tips that can result in perfectly cooked beans:
- If you want cooked beans to be a little soft, soak them for about six hours before cooking. When the beans are ready, use a shredder to crush them. In this way, you will get a thicker and softer consistency.
- You can also substitute vegetable broth for water. This way, you’ll get more flavor in the beans.
- Never store hot beans. Let them reach room temperature first, and then store them.
- It is important that you rinse dry beans about two or three times before cooking. This way, you’ll get rid of dust and debris.
- Make sure you don’t add salt to the beans before they’re cooked. This way, they won’t get tender. Once the beans are cooked well, season with salt.
- If you don’t want to use onion or garlic, you can also use onion powder and garlic powder.
- You can also add vegetables like carrots and celery to beans.
- If you don’t want to use liquid smoke, you can skip it entirely.
How to store instant pinto beans? The thing about
instant pinto beans
is that they’re super easy to store. You can store leftover pinto beans in an airtight container and place them in the refrigerator for up to three days. However, make sure they are completely cold before storing them; otherwise, they will spoil.
In addition, you can also freeze these beans. You can divide them into portions and add them to a zippered plastic bag. Place the bags in the freezer, and they are ready to carry for up to three months.
What to serve with instant pinto beans?
Pinto beans are versatile. You can eat it without any other ingredients, or you can serve them as a main course or apart. It pairs well with several dishes. Here are some ideas:
- You can serve press-cooked pinto beans with cooked rice, Jolof rice, turmeric rice, coconut or quinoa
- You can serve them along with quinoa and enjoy the many benefits of this combination
- It goes perfectly well
- You can also serve it with gluten-free cornbread or any other slice of toast.
- You can also use pinto beans as a salsa. Just mash it a bit using a maser and serve with tortilla chips and vegan cheese sauce. It becomes a delicious dipping sauce.
Try my other amazing instant pot recipes:
- vegan Split Pea Soup
- Mexican Rice
- Vegan Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Curry
If you liked this post and would love to see more, join me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter!
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating 😉
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing many delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Join us and invite your friends to vegan and gluten-free recipes for beginners and vegans with love