summer is on the way! We’re celebrating this with the peace lily, houseplant of the month for June. This hardy green-white appearance, also known as spathiphyllum, highly values its health.
Reading: Peace lily how long to bloom
With its glossy green leaves, creamy white spadix, and spiky spathe, the peace lily is a true beauty, but you’re underestimating this flower if you judge it on its beauty alone. there is more to the peace lily. It is known for its air purifying feature, so in the purest air you will feel better and improve your daily performance. inhale, exhale.
the peace lily comes from very far, that is, from the tropical forest around the amazon in south america and specifically from colombia and venezuela. in the jungle the plant developed its preference for high humidity. In 1870, the peace lily was introduced to Europe, when it began its triumphal entry into European salons and offices.
taking care of the peace lily
place the peace lily in a light or shaded spot and give it plenty of water every week, the plant has no problem with moist soil. if you forget to water it, don’t worry, the plant is hardy and will revive after watering. Your peace lily thrives best in temperatures between 15 and 23⁰ Celsius. it will flower for four to ten weeks and then rest for a couple of weeks. after about twelve weeks, the new shoots will develop spathes again.
- peace lilies are known as representatives of peace: the white flower is the symbol of the white flag, which is internationally understood as a sign of ceasefire.
- you will find peace lily in many varieties, from mini to extra large.
- you’ll create a healthy work environment, higher productivity and lower illness rates, with a peace lily that purifies the air in your desk.
- the plant belongs to the araceae family, as does the flamingo flower.
- the peace lily is also very suitable for placing in the bathroom.
- If your peace lily has brown spots on the leaves, the air around it is probably too dry. a plant water spray works wonders.
- your peace lily will also love being outside in the summer. then place it in a sheltered position in the shade.
- Many people assume that the white spathes are the flowers, but peace lily flowers are small and are found on the pointed spadix.
indoor plant of the month
peace lily takes center stage this month as a houseplant for june 2015. “houseplant of the month” is an initiative of the netherlands flower council. each month, the flower council, in collaboration with representatives of the horticultural sector, chooses a plant that is very popular with the consumer, or is not well known but has the potential to do well in the living room.
for more information visit: www.thejoyofplants.co.uk
facebook: the joy of plants
See also: The art of fan edits | Mashable
thejoyofplants.co.uk is an initiative of the Dutch Flower Council and allows consumers to experience that they feel better about the plants around them.
photo title houseplant for June 2015, peace lily