instant pot or slow cooker and you might have some leftovers to eat later in the week! And this tasty stew with Italian sausages and peppers is low in net carbs and gluten-free!
PIN Italian Sausage Stew to try later!
Before we talk about this delicious Italian sausage stew that you can make in the instant pot or slow cooker, I want to say a little bit about how food blogs have changed. When I started sharing recipes, I never imagined a time when blogging would become so competitive, search engines would be so meticulous, and new cooking devices would make recipes they once loved no longer appealing. (And then I switched to a more carb-conscious diet, so the way I cooked changed as well.)
I’m doing my best to manage change! I’m trying to update slow cooker recipes with an instant cooker option and trying to make low-carb versions of the recipes I posted when I ate more carbs. But I will never be able to update all the old recipes. If you had an old favorite on the site that you can no longer find, send me an email; I have those recipes and will be happy to send them to you!
And today I’m updating this slow cooker stew that originally had Italian sausage, red and green pepper, and Cannellini beans. (You can find the original version here if you’re curious.) Of course, now many people would make the recipe in the Instant Pot now and would not want beans.
Kara and I used more Italian sausages, swapped the beans for mushrooms, and added some Rao pasta sauce to thicken and flavor the stew. And it was a success! I hope you try this tasty stew that is eaten so well with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top!
What ingredients do you need?
(This is just a list of ingredients; scroll down for a complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the full recipe.)
- Olive oil
- Ground pepper to taste
- Turkey or pork Canned Italian sausage
- Small dice tomatoes
- Rao’s Pasta Willow
- Canned chicken broth (affiliate link) or use homemade chicken broth if you have some
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese to serve (optional)
pepper green pepper pepper
(affiliate link) Dried basil (affiliate link) Greek oregano (affiliate link) Ground fennel (affiliate link) Spike Seasoning (affiliate link)
What kind of Italian sausage do we use? For months I haven’t been able to find my favorite
Italian turkey sausage
so when I saw these one-pound rolls made by the same company, I grabbed a bunch for the freezer. If you have turkey sausage links, just squeeze the sausage. You can also use Italian pork sausage, but it will add more fat to the stew.
What kind of mushrooms do we use?
We use brown Cremini mushrooms for this recipe, but any mushrooms you have will be fine.
Are you a fan of Italian sausage?
Check out 40 Italian Low-Carb and Keto Sausage Recipes if you’re also a fan of Italian sausage!
What instant cooker and slow cooker did I use?
originally used a 5-quart slow cooker (affiliate link) for this recipe. I use a 6-quart Instant Pot (affiliate link) for all my Instant Pot recipes! You can find more instant cooker recipes on my other site, slow cooker or pressure cooker.
How to make Italian sausage stew:
(This is just a summary of the steps for the recipe; scroll down to see the complete printable recipe. Or if you use the JUMP TO RECIPE link at the top of the page, it will take you directly to the full recipe. See the recipe notes for instructions and changes to the slow cooker.)
- Chop the onions into pieces of about 1/2 inch
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in the instant pot to SAUTÉED, OVER MEDIUM HEAT.
- Add the onions and cook until they begin to soften and brown. Then add dried basil, Greek oregano, ground fennel, spike seasoning and black pepper and cook a few more minutes.
- I was excited to find these one-pound rolls of Italian turkey sausage. If you have sausages on the links, just squeeze it out of the guts.
- Add a little more olive oil to the instant pot and cook the Italian sausage until it is well browned and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- I used this Meat Chopper (affiliate link) to cut the sausage while it was cooking. (My new favorite kitchen gadget!)
- While cooking the sausage chops mushrooms and red and green peppers.
- When the sausage is well browned, add mushrooms, red pepper, green pepper, canned tomatoes, Rao’s pasta sauce and chicken broth to the instant pot.
- Set Instant Pot to MANUAL, HIGH HEAT, 5 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is over, let the stew release naturally for 5 minutes.
- That’s all! Serve hot with some freshly grated Parmesan to sprinkle on the table if desired.
Weekend Food Prep:
This recipe has been added to a category called Weekend Food Prep to help you find recipes you can prepare or cook on the weekend and eat during the week!
More sausages in the instant pot:
- instant sausage
- with pesto
- Instant Pot cabbage and
- sausage stew
and kale soup Chicken and sausage stew Pumpkin soup Instant Pot Sausage
sausage <img src="https://kalynskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/1400-Italian-Sausage-Stew-700×700.jpg" alt="Square thumbnail image of Italian
Low Carb Diet/Low Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Tips: This Italian sausage stew is great for low-carb and ketogenic diets and you might prefer Italian pork sausage for Keto. When made with Italian turkey sausage, the stew is perfect for any phase of the original South Beach diet.
Find more recipes like this
: Use soup and stew recipes to find more recipes like this. Use the Diet Type Index to find more recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You may also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical notes for this recipe: This recipe was first published in 2010. It was adapted to a low-carb stew that can be made in the Instant Pot and the recipe was updated with more information in 2021, and slightly improved again in 2022.