Shipwreck Stew is an old-fashioned recipe that’s full of ground beef and delicious vegetables. This recipe is very easy to make and is the best comfort food. A simple stew that can be made directly in a Dutch oven for a dinner that your family is sure to love! This recipe includes instructions for the stove, slow cooker, and instant cooker.
Soup, just like this shipwreck stew, is such a comforting food to eat all year round. If you are looking for more soup recipes try this Broccoli and Cheese Soup, healthier than the traditional version. Or this family favorite, Tortellini sausage soup, which can be made in the instant pot or on the stove. Serve with any of them with these air fryer dinner rolls.
ground beef stew is
a simple combination of some thick vegetables, ground beef, corn, and red beans
It’s packed with healthy ingredients and is thick and filling.
This stew was one of my childhood favorites, which I am delighted to be able to make and pass on to my children. And also pass it on to you so you can pass it on to your family and friends.
While the ground beef is browning, I like to prepare the vegetables by washing and chopping them.
One of the best things about this stew is that you can make it to suit your needs. I use lean ground beef, which is ground sirloin, typically in my kitchen. But, you can use beef with more fat like ground round or ground, it just needs to be drained. You could even use ground turkey, the taste just won’t be that rich.
of shipwreck stew in a pot.” />
Why is it called shipwreck stew
Shipwreck seems like a strange name for a soup, especially since this stew is far from a shipwreck. I think the name comes from the fact that all the ingredients collide together in a pot like a shipwreck.
definitely doesn’t taste like shipwreck, it’s pretty tasty!
Why make this delicious stew recipe?
Shipwreck stew is a staple for dinner at my house. That’s why you’re going to love this recipe too!
- It’s a great dinner
- It is easy to prepare
- You just need a pot
- It’s cheap.
- Great food for when you’re sick (or have sick kids).
Do I cut or cube the potatoes?
grew up eating this stew with sliced potatoes, that’s how I prepare my potatoes for this stew. For me, it just wouldn’t be the same if I used cubed potatoes. I like to use a mandolin to be able to control the thickness, cut them well and thin. When they are all the same size, they will all be made at the same time.
If you have large potato slices, you can cut them into halves or quarters to make them smaller.
But, if you prefer thick potatoes in your stew, cut them into pieces. It will be helpful to keep the cubes roughly the same size so that they are all made at about the same time. Keep in mind that this may add extra time to your cooking time.
What to serve with shipwreck stew
This thick stew is great on its own, but I always like to add a little side to complete the meal and choosing the right side can make this an unforgettable meal.
- Dinner rolls
- Grilled vegetables Fresh vegetables
Shipwreck stew Ingredients Ground beef:
- I use lean ground beef, which is ground sirloin that is 92% lean and only 8% fat.
- Potatoes: Washed, peeled and thinly sliced
- . Onions: You will need a yellow or white onion
- Celery: Fresh celery, you will need 3-4 stems
- Beans: A can of drained and rinsed beans
- Corn: Whole corn in the can with the
- Tomatoes: Canned diced tomatoes with the liquid.
- Broth: I like to use vegetable broth, but you can also use chicken broth.
- Salt and pepper: To taste.
to make shipwreck stew.” />
How to make shipwreck stew
- In a large pot, brown
- Push the ground beef to one side of the side of the pot. Add the onion and cook until smooth and translucent.
- Stir along with the meat.
- Add potatoes, celery, beans, corn, tomatoes, and broth.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium-high heat until stew is boiling. Lower the heat to medium-low, stirring occasionally. Simmer for about 45-55 minutes until vegetables are soft.
the ground beef.
to make shipwreck stew.” />
How to cook shipwreck stew
in a clay pot or slow cooker
It’s super simple to make this stew in a clay pot instead of a Dutch oven. Here are the instructions for making it in a slow cooker.
Brown the ground beef in a pan
- and add to the slow cooker
- Then, sauté the diced onions in the ground beef fat in the same pan that cooked the ground beef. Add it to the clay pot.
- Add all other ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Simmer for 6-8 hours.
How to Cook Wreck Stew in Instant Pot
If you prefer to cook your wreck stew in the pressure cooker instead of in a Dutch pot or oven, here are the instructions
. Brown ground beef
- using the stir-fry setting
- in the ground beef fat trying to keep them separate from the meat. Once the onions
- are soft, add all the ingredients and stir together
- Close the lid, adjust the valve to seal, and set the instant cooker for manual high-pressure cooking. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the soup has finished cooking, make a quick release and remove the lid.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
. Pull the ground beef to the side and add the onions. Sauté the onions
Tips and variations of shipwreck recipes
- Use different ground beef. Instead of ground sirloin (lean ground beef), you can use ground beef with a little more fat or even ground turkey.
- Add different vegetables. You can add 2-3 cups of canned or frozen green beans, pieces of carrots, red peppers or peas.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many calories are in shipwreck stew? There are between 4-6 servings of stew depending on the amount served. Each serving is about 350 (per 6 servings)-530 (per 4 servings) calories.
Can shipwreck stew be frozen? Yes, shipwreck stew freezes very well. Instructions can be found below in the storage instructions.
How to refrigerate shipwreck stew? Let the soup cool and put it in an airtight container. It should last about 4-5 days in the fridge.
How do you reheat shipwreck stew? Heat the soup on the stove, the exact cooking time will depend on how much soup you have left. Try to heat over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes. Check the temperature, if it is not hot enough continue heating.
How to freeze shipwreck stew? Let the soup cool completely before putting it in an airtight, freezer-safe container. It can be frozen for 3-6 months, just be sure to label with the recipe and date.
How to thaw frozen stew? Thaw the frozen cooked stew in the refrigerator overnight until thawed.
these other recipes
- Black Bean
- Roasted Garlic
- Healthy Broccoli Cheddar
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!
Follow me on social media for more recipe ideas and inspiration!
PINTEREST / FACEBOOK / INSTAGRAM
Did you make
Please let me know how it turned out
If you’ve tried this or any of my other recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe below and leave me a comment. I love hearing from you! Share a photo on Instagram and tag it #homecookedharvest.